Browsing "Campgrounds"
Apr 3, 2013 -

The Mail Is Here!

Wow, I really didn’t expect the mail to get here this week. I’m a little thrown off my kilter right now. 🙂

I’m too busy to leave tomorrow, so I’ll definitely be renewing to Friday noonish. I need to call Teri to see if she can set up that guided walk she suggested in a comment.

With the days being as long as they are now, I could easily leave mid-day and arrive in Dallas with daylight to spare. Google Maps puts the trip at being 4.25 hours. I think I could do it within 6, depending on traffic. It’s 288mi (464KM), so it’s definitely doable in one shot.

We just got tons more rain here, but Teri had nothing to say about the weather when she dropped off mail, so now that the sky is FINALLY clearing, I can relax about having to move to higher ground.

I’m down almost 60AH now, the lowest I have ever gone since getting the battery monitor calibrated. Knowing that I’ll have power in Dallas, I’m not concerned. Plus, I’ll get some charge in on the drive there.

Share on Facebook
Batteries, Battery Monitor, Boondocking/Dry camping, Campgrounds, Countries, Electricity, Itineraries, Law and Government, Mail, Preparations for Departure, Solar Panels, Technical, Texas, Travel, USA, Weather    No Comments
Apr 3, 2013 -

Storm Aftermath

The storm that threatened to drench us last night appeared at about 11:00! It was very loud, with a lot of thunder and tons of lightening, but the rain didn’t seem to last that long. None of the other RVs seemed poised to move, so I stayed put. The ground is definitely spongey this morning.

The soak did both my truck and Miranda a lot of good. I still need to spray the underside of Miranda for salt, but otherwise her chalky layer is gone. I do see that both Miranda and the truck topper are due for some Poli Glow, but that won’t happen till I get somewhere with a ladder and plenty of water.

My host from Dallas phoned last night. It’s funny how I just about never get calls and I got three or four last night! At any rate, I am infinitely grateful to have secured such a good landing spot in Dallas.

Croft and Norma are a mere two hours away right now, but they’re too busy to drive two hours round trip to meet me halfway and I’m way too busy to drive four hours round trip to get to them, so I guess we’ll be like ships passing in the night. Dang! How can so close be so far away?

Today really doesn’t feel like my last day in San Antonio. I just have one more thing to do here and I need to talk to my host, Teri, about it. As per a recent comment, Caroline isn’t in Austin, so really, I don’t feel any pull to the city at all. So I may just stay here long enough to do one more tourist thing, and then do a straight shot to Dallas.

Share on Facebook
Campgrounds, Countries, Nice Folks, Social, Texas, Travel, USA, Weather    3 Comments
Mar 31, 2013 -

And the Thunder Rolls

It has been disgustingly grey out most of the time I have been here. Thankfully, there have been some nice sunny patches, but it’s mostly been icky and the humidity has been increasing. It looks like we will finally get some rain tonight. I hope it’s not too much or I will have to move to higher ground.

If I didn’t have my solenoid, I would have had to move back into the RV park by now. Between it and the weak sun, I’m holding steady between 30 and 40AH down. So I’m fine, but my batteries sure would like a full charge sooner rather than later…

Mail will determine whether or not I leave on Thursday. I still haven’t figured out where I’m going next. I’ve pretty much decided not to stop in Austin. I’ve been told several times that I need to check it out, but I’m not into the music scene and nothing about the city is calling my name while there are things I want to see in Dallas. But Dallas is even more of a challenging in terms of finding an overnighting spot, much less somewhere that I can stay for several nights at little to no charge. I may just have to bite the bullet and stay at an RV park for a couple of nights.

That said, if I end up staying here later than Thursday and into the weekend, I will consider going to Austin on a day trip. An extended stay here would put me really behind schedule, so then I will probably overnight somewhere before Dallas, stop in Dallas for the afternoon (as long as I can find a place to drop the rig), and then overnight after Dallas.

I can’t believe I absolutely need to be back in Canada in 45 days, but I am aiming for no more than 40. April is going to SPEED by.

Blog Widget by LinkWithinShare on Facebook
Batteries, Battery Monitor, Boondocking/Dry camping, Campgrounds, Communications & Electronics, Countries, Electricity, Itineraries, Law and Government, Mail, Preparations for Departure, Solar Panels, Technical, Texas, Travel, USA, Weather    6 Comments