Tagged with " study"
Dec 2, 2012 -

Dealing With Electronic Cables Once and For All

Today’s project came together more easily and wonderfully than I would have thought! I guess I deserve an easy project once in a while. 🙂

Now, I don’t want to get into too much detail about my electronic set up, but the following pictures should give you a general idea of the way I got my electronic cables coraled once and for all!

I started off with another Closetmaid product from Target:

As delivered, the unit was too high for me to comfortably view my monitor. Before I cut it down, I spent some time at Walmart this morning looking for bins that would fill the shelf horizontally and depth-wise, and which would then give me an idea of how much of the legs to cut off. I also cut the second shelf-length-wise to get a front panel for my new shelf.

End result:

The only cables that are now visible are the ones that I absolutely have to plug into my computer.

Behind the front panel are bins that hold my  cables, with one of them being a charging station of sorts:

Now, the only cables running under the desks are the power bar cords.

I felt a little silly today sawing handles off beautiful storage totes then drilling holes in them, but they were the perfect-size containers for my project.

Next step in my office setup is to get an external monitor and then I think my workspace will be as near to perfect as possible!

Share on Facebook
Communications & Electronics, Homemaking, Organizing, Personal, Renovating, Technical    2 Comments
Sep 29, 2012 -

Long Awaited Finishing Touches

My mother and I blasted through our to-do list today, leaving only a few minor things to finish up. This was the first time that we were able to get through the list without adding anything to it!

Even though my floors have been in since the winter of 2010, the trim has been troublesome. I blasted through the easy parts and made a failed experiment on the hard parts, then pretty much gave up.

Being a woodworker, my mother knows offhand what trim is available on the market. So she looked at the bits we had left to do and made a list of materials needed to get around the problematic parts. The biggest problem I had beyond the funky angles was that the edge of the floor wasn’t flush with the wall, so there would be a gap behind the trim. I had thought to get trim in and fill the gap with putty or caulking, but my mother had a better idea, of course.

Now, I am going to share some pictures, but, please, no comments on the state of my floors! I had the energy to either blog or scrub floors this evening and I thought blogging would be more interesting. 😀

This is what the front of my fridge has looked like for two and a half years:

This is what the front of my fridge looks like with two layers of trim and a bit of putty:

My mother didn’t like the threshold I put in the toilet room (neither did I!) and she had a piece of proper threshold the right size, so she used a band saw to cut it to fit the awkward space:

She did an amazing job along the vanity and shower in the dressing room:

We also finished up the door to the cab, adding some trim to make it look more finished:

Now, I just have to paint all of that new woodwork. The trim will be painted golden brown and I am undecided about the new wall. Logically, it should be yellow, but that may end up being too much of a good thing. My mother suggested wallpaper and I am considering it. That would add a little bit of texture to the room.

Besides all of this, we also put in new bookcase dowels and fitted the male end of the 120V wiring that will connect the inverter to the shore power cable. It was raining, so we’ll leave the female end plus the final bit of work on the new front door exterior window frame for a nice day.

I have to say that Miranda is looking really good these days. I almost feel like I have a new home!

Share on Facebook
Decorating, Homemaking, Nice Folks, Personal, Renovating, Social    10 Comments
Aug 12, 2012 -

The Highly Technical French-Canadian Method For Securing Furniture (some assembly required)

The filing cabinet really vexed my mother. She felt that it was just about impossible to secure it to the rig without risking that a misadventure would rip out the floor or, worse, a wall. I witnessed this summer just how much it can move, and how much damage it can make, when an idiot with no respect for his clients’ RVs parks one.

The conclusion she reached was one I had toyed with: not securing the filing cabinet, but rather wedging it in place during travel.

The end result has a horizontal piece linking the desk and the top of the cabinet, a horizontal piece linking the wall behind the desk and the bottom of the cabinet, and a vertical piece blocking the drawers. There is also some trim on the bottom of the cabinet to further discourage it from moving.

I think it’s time for a picture. 🙂

Everything that touches the desk, cabinet, or printer drawer has padding to hopefully prevent scratches.

Here’s a closeup of the vertical section with the drawer pieces:

My mother wanted the whole thing to be dismantleable and easy to store and she wanted to make sure everything was wedged in super tight, hence the use of the cedar shingle wedges.

I’ll know in a few days if this works or not!

Blog Widget by LinkWithinShare on Facebook
Homemaking, Organizing, Personal, Renovating    4 Comments
Pages:«1234567...18»