The loft is turning out to be my most daunting reno project. I finally managed to empty it this morning and I have no idea where to begin.
Condensation is still a major issue:
The floor is uneven:
The floor is gross:
There’s nothing I can do with the uneven floor short of adding a layer of plywood all around. When I had a workshop full of tools to my disposal, I tried to come up with a way to recess the plywood plank, but there was no way to go about it. What I did to compensate was put the pallet on blocks around it. What I’ll do this time around is cut the bottom braces of the pallets where they hit the boards since the braces are the same high. That’ll put the pallets on an even surface. I had wanted to completely remove the bottom braces to gain an inch of ceiling height but forgot about that darn plywood plank!
So, the floor…. Two options; either I find some vinyl or I slather it with a mould-resistant melamine paint that I have. I’d still caulk the edges all around. What I don’t like about the painting option is that it means an additional week without my bedroom.
For the windows, I’ll see if the tinted film helps. I know that one of the reasons for condensation is the lack of air flow. I’ve been using my suitcase and heavy foam padding (the dinette cushions) to block the windows, causing moisture to get trapped. There is literally no other place in this rig to store the suitcase and it has worked smashingly as a head board and window blocker for two years, so I’m loathe to do away with it. I will forgo the rest of the padding, though. I’ve pretty much decided on a snap-on, water proof, water covering for the windows, something along the lines of a high-end shower curtain. It doesn’t have to be opaque; it just has to give me an additional level of privacy beyond the window tinting.
I think I’ll start by filling in holes with wall compound. While that’s drying, I’ll get the window tinting on. Then, I can sand and wash the walls and prime. Once the second coat of paint is on the walls, I can do the floor. I think I’ve decided to try the paint option. I have experience using melamine paint in a high humidity area and the stuff is miraculous. Only problem is this paint is sky blue, which won’t go with anything else in the rig, but it’s not like it’s going to show. I still preferred the lino option, though.
Notice the valance braces around the side windows. I’m going to flip them around, add a piece of facing, and lower them a couple of inches to make some much needed storage shelves.
Estimated time to new bedroom at this point: at least a week. *sighs* But I’m finally on my way!
I may post the pictures of the current state of the library once I have accepted that it will be that way for a few weeks. There is only so much space in an RV for a mattress and two pallets…Share on Facebook