I was at my wit’s end trying to figure out how I was going to get my cabinets to latch shut. My overhead cabinets don’t have any catches, so they couldn’t serve as inspiration. I checked the dressing room and kitchen cabinets and, lo and behold, I found a discrepancy. One of the original closures broke and was replaced by something else. I knew this something else would have to work for my new cabinets, too. So, off I went to Home Depot with a picture and I actually found the same thing!
Super cheap, too, less than a buck fifty each!
I installed them in all my new cabinets except the over fridge one. The side of the cabinet isn’t thick enough for one of these, so I’ll have to add a spacer. *sighs*
Here’s how they look in that cabinet over the drawer.
(Yes, there is something in there now, pillows. They won’t be staying there long; I just want space to manoeuvre in the study.)
I will get around to putting the pulls on one day; I’m just nervous about making holes in my pretty doors. 🙂
I bought an 8′ long section of trim so that I could make some practice cuts and get an idea of how much it would cost to do the whole rig.
My dad used to love cutting trim, it was like a puzzle for him. The first time I attempted to cut the stuff I was on the phone for ages with him getting tips. We thought the same way and he could verbally explain things to me better than I could understand with a diagram. I wish dad could have been available for a consult today!
I decided to do the bit around the sink to the kitchen-side cabinet edge. First step, make sure the gap between the wall and the floor isn’t more than three quarters of an inch, the width of the trim:
Okay, slight problem. From the edge of the vertical trim to the flooring is three quarters of an inch, but from the wall to the flooring is a full inch.
A couple of minutes later:
I then tried to take measurements and got super daunted. I decided to start from the opposite end of the project, where I would have a flat edge.
A half hour and three feet of trim later I got this far:
Fourteen and seven eights inches of trim in, eighty billion to go. At this rate, trim is going to cost me several thousand dollars and take a couple of years to install. 😀
I’m only jesting. One of dad’s tricks was to cut four scraps of pieces with the four cuts I would need and to use that to line up the saw and trim. It’s an excellent tip that works. I just had a lot of wastage and lack of progress since I had to learn a new saw. I’ll continue with the trim next weekend.Share on Facebook