Tagged with " dressing room"
Apr 24, 2010 -

Sick of Trim

I did most of the dressing room trim today and am not happy with a single piece of it, especially in the shower area, which had some wonky angles. I think some putty will cover a lot of the problems, but not all. Someone needs to invent flexible trim that is at least an inch deep. The only thing I truly felt I accomplished today was build up that little strip between the vanity and the shower.

It also needs a little bit of trim to finish it, but something much thinner than what I’m using on the floor. There is now no more carpet in the living area of Miranda. I can’t wait to get rid of the carpet in the cab!

All in all, today felt like a real waste of my energy. I’ve bought the rest of the trim I need to finish the rig and I will try to continue this week just because I have the miter saw handy, but it’s no longer a priority. I have a hand saw and miter box, so I can finish this part of the project later if need be. I think I’ve hit renovation burnout.

Share on Facebook
Homemaking, Personal, Renovating    7 Comments
Apr 21, 2010 -

Securing the Cloth Dresser

I’m not enamoured with the cloth dresser, but I do believe it is a good solution for the space. Today’s project was to finish securing it for travel.

The Gorilla Glue I used on the dresser frame did the trick so the next step was to secure the frame to the wall. Since I don’t expect the cloth dresser to have a very long lifespan, I wanted to make as little damage to Miranda as possible. I therefore used eye-bolts and tie-wraps to keep the dresser from tipping over:

I used one eye-bolt each for the the bottom and top part of the frame.

Once the bottom dresser was secured to the wall it was time to insert the body portion. How it works is that the top has stiff cardboard that theoretically keeps the body from slipping through the top of the frame. Once you add any weight to the drawers, however, the body slips through most annoyingly. So, I decided to secure the body to the frame using tie-wraps after strengthening the holes with grommets:

I used one grommet and one tie-wrap in each corner.

Once the bottom dresser was installed, I secured the top one in the same way:

I’m not worried about the drawers shooting out since they do not slide easily, so I’m considering this project done pending a travel test. I may cave and secure the bottom to the floor with a couple of eye-bolts, but I’m optimistic that this will do.

Share on Facebook
Decorating, Homemaking, Personal    3 Comments
Apr 10, 2010 -

In the Middle of Projects

I’ve been picking away at the trim and it is a very tough job. I need about a million tiny pieces and they need to be fit just so. I am at the point where I think it will actually be easier to cut it all by hand with my miter box right in place. As it is I have to:

-get down on my hands and knees to measure;

-scramble to my feet;

-run down three steps and up another three to get to the workshop;

-find a suitable length of trim;

-measure the trim;

-figure out how to get the correct angles and adjust the saw accordingly;

-cut the trim;

-go down three steps and climb another three;

-get down on my hands and knees;

-put the trim in place;

-curse that it is just an eighth of an inch too long (or, worse, short);

-scramble to my feet…

Check out this section from the study to the dressing room, for example:

Adding those two little pieces and starting on a third took an hour. There is also a problem with the edge of the flooring not being square with the wall, so I wind up with a tiny gap between the trim and the wall that will need to be filled in.

You’ll notice the vertical wall trim in the second photo. I had to cut away an inch of it at the bottom so that I could get the trim to sit flush there since the wall trim is curved.

I also forgot that I had one more little carpentry project next to the shower:

I want to fill in that gap up to the edge of the vanity and then recover it. I don’t have any flooring left after doing the stairwell, so I’ll just get one of those 50 cent sticky tiles and cut it up.

I really don’t find the trim work to be any fun and I would gladly pay someone to get this job done for me, but I will persevere!

The other project I’m only part-way through is the permanentizing of the cloth dresser. The Gorilla Glue has set and I think it’s going to work!

I need to clean up some of the overspill:

Next will be the grommets. I’ve been watching videos on how to do it and am just about ready to tackle the job!

Blog Widget by LinkWithinShare on Facebook
Decorating, Homemaking, Personal, Renovating    3 Comments