Browsing "Itineraries"
Mar 8, 2013 -

Time To Go, But Not Just Yet

I had thought to leave the beach on the 7th of March, but decided to postpone that because of how bad weather is up north right now.

Mondays are my quietest day, so departure was moved to the 11th or the 18th. The 11th, this Monday doesn’t feel right. So I finally called the RV park in San Antonio to make a reservation for two weeks starting on the 18th to light a fire under my butt about getting a move on.

This will put me in San Antonio until April 2nd. I will then move to Austin for a few nights, leaving the fifth or sixth depending on my overnight options (I may test the waters about staying two nights a Walmart). Then Oklahoma for a night, putting me at L’s in Wichita about the eight of April for about three nights.

So around the 11th or 12th of April, I will head firmly north. I have a whole list of destinations I want to hit depending on the weather. And then Canada. And then? Well, my summer plans have changed. More on that once I’ve firmed them up a little. But, yes, I will start by heading to my property.

L and I are going out Sunday night and he’s leaving Monday. 🙁 It’ll be a lonely last week here!

Share on Facebook
Boondocking/Dry camping, Campgrounds, Itineraries, Texas, Travel, USA    8 Comments
Feb 26, 2013 -

Looking At the Calendar

Until last night, I planned to pull out of here on or about March 7th and head to San Antonio. Looking at the weather from Dallas and points north lately, and across the continent as a whole this year, I suspect that spring will come late this year. Even though I want to give myself plenty of time to get back to Canada, I want to delay hitting iffy weather as long as possible.

The budget is tight, as it always is, and there aren’t a lot of free places like this in Texas where you can spend an extended period of time. I found a spot in San Antonio that will cost me $5 a day, so I plan to spend two weeks there. But if I leave here on the 7th, that puts me in Austin around the 21st and I haven’t found any free places beyond Walmarts and the like in that area. I wouldn’t mind bouncing around for a few nights, but that’s no way to live long-term.

All that to say that as long as no county officials come knock on my door and tell me to move on, I’m going to spend one additional week here and leave around the 14th of March. I’ve seen some of the other boondocking opportunities along the coast and I just don’t see any point in moving. Expenses here are super low, I have a full social calendar, and the weather has been good.

Being here another week will also loosen up the budget a tad for the trip north so that I can keep traveling rather than just try to get from point A to point B while spending as little as possible.

In other words, I don’t want to move and I’m glad I have a good reason not to. 🙂

Share on Facebook
Countries, Itineraries, Texas, Travel, USA    8 Comments
Feb 23, 2013 -

Thoughts On Two Possible Routes North

Rather than keep hashing this out in the comments to my post about Wyoming, I thought I would present the two routes I am considering so as to get input on them. One route has me shooting straight north and then northwest through the Dakotas. The other has me going northwest from Austin and then straight north from New Mexico.

There are two factors I would like folks to keep in mind before they give me their thoughts.

1) Weather

I am going to be leaving Austin in very late March or very early early April so as to give me a full five weeks to get to Saskatchewan in case the weather gets ugly along the way. Either route is going to take me a week to do at a comfortable pace, but regardless of how quickly I travel or not, I am going to be traveling through one of the iffiest weather periods of the year in some of the most isolated areas of the US. Facilities may be closed or offer reduced services.

2) Elevation Changes

It’s my belief that the second route is going to have more elevation changes than the first, which could also impact on weather. I also do not want to face any really steep grades. I just want a nice easy lope back to Canada.

Here is the direct route:

route 1

This route mostly takes I-35. I believe that elevation changes would be a non-issue as I am mostly going through the prairies. I have found an abundance of places to overnight along this route, even in the wilds of the Dakotas where you can stay overnight at a rest area.

If I was just focused on getting back to Canada, this route would be a no brainer. But I’ve already been through most of these states.

Here is route two:

route 2

This route mostly takes I-25. It would allow me to add several more states to my map. I am concerned about elevation changes. Most of what I remember of Denver is a 10-lane highway, so driving through that city sounds a little unnerving and there doesn’t seem to be a good way around, but RV forums say to just drive through outside of rush hour. I have found fewer overnighting options on this route, and none that sound like a sure bet in Wyoming.

I like this route because of the additional states I’ll get to add to my map, I really want to see Colorado again, and I’ve heard that Wyoming is gorgeous, but it doesn’t sound like a sure bet in the shoulder seasons.

Both routes are about the same distance and terminate at the tiny Scobey, MT border crossing near my property.

Thoughts?

I don’t want to go back. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Blog Widget by LinkWithinShare on Facebook
Itineraries, Travel    15 Comments
Pages:«1234567...30»