Study

The study was originally the room in the back.

Hmm… Two twin beds. A night table. Tons of overhead storage. Two chairs in the front lounge. A huge queen size bed over the cab….

This is what the back room looked like when I purchased Miranda:

The back bedroom as purchased.
The back bedroom as purchased.

The raised space covered with carpet that is under the night table is the top of basement storage compartment. This really reduced the actual floor space in the room. I took my vision for this room to the best carpenter I know–my mother–and she fine-tuned it to give me a layout that has really given me a room I can spend a lot of time in and where I can comfortably watch a movie, do some embroidery, read, or surf the web.

Still, this room is a major work in progress. Whenever I think I’m getting close, I find there are many improvements to do.

I did some things right off the bat from purchasing Miranda, knowing that they wouldn’t be permanent.

First thing I needed to do was rip out the carpet in both the back room and the front lounge. I loathe carpet. It’s hard to keep clean, it requires vacuuming, and it’s not cat friendly. I did some research and wound up deciding on Allure vinyl flooring in ‘chocolate’, available exclusively at the Home Depot. This was a great choice as the product is very easy to work with. It comes in strips that look like three 1’x1′ tiles stuck together and they have sticky edges that interlock. It’s almost a combination of peel ‘n stick tiles and floating floor.

This is the room after I pulled out the mattresses:

Removing the mattresses.
Removing the mattresses.

I decided after some consultation that the desk would be built on the right hand side. So, I needed to dismantle that storage box. I would however keep the one on the left to store blankets and extra pillows.

The carpet had seemed to be in good shape, but a bit of work revealed just how dingy and faded it had become:

Ew
Ew

Several hours of grueling carpet pulling later, I found a plywood subfloor that was in excellent shape:

Yay, no sign of water damage!
Yay, no sign of water damage!

Followed an excruciating hour of nail pulling and an hour and a half after that, the new floor was in!

New flooring
New flooring

I didn’t have trim yet to finish up the floors, but I was able to reinstall the threshold between the study and the bathroom:

Finishing details.
Finishing details.

When I took Miranda down to my mother’s the following weekend, we got the trim in together once I got over my fear of using a nail gun. I took quite a few pictures of this step of the renovation, but here’s one to show just how nicely we managed to match the stain:

Trim
Trim

Removing the headboards caused a lot of damage to the back wall:

Wall damage after headboard removal
Wall damage after headboard removal

So my mother suggesting gluing cloth-backed vinyl to the wall, the top of the compartment, and the storage box cover, as well as installing a moulding across the back wall:

covering the holes in the wallpaper
covering the holes in the wallpaper

The new layout positioned the two mattresses against the back wall and the night table over the old study box. I decided at the time to keep both mattresses as well as the pieces for the right side box (carefully stored in the basement) so that if I wind up selling Miranda, the modifications could be reversed to bring the RV back to a two twin bed layout with very little effort and no cosmetic work whatsoever. I’ve since given up all thought of selling Miranda, got rid of a mattress, and used the box materials to build other things!

This shot shows the left side of the new layout well:

new layout
new layout

It might not look like much there, but check it out with the night table properly installed and within arms reach of a pretty cozy little pseudo-couch:

comfy couch
comfy couch

The fabric used to make the covers was really one of those ‘it was meant to happen’ finds. I poked through the bargain bin at a fabric store and came up with sufficient yardage of material sturdy enough for the job and whose colours match my rig exactly. In it, I find Miranda’s mossy green, the gold of her accents, and all the shades of brown of her woodwork. The pattern isn’t too ugly, either. 🙂 I am ready to move on to brighter colours, though!

Finally, the desk. As a start, y mother used one sheet of plywood with a nice finish on both sides to build a desk and a small 1’x1′ bookcase. She added a desk leg she had in her scrap bin and finished off the whole thing with a few layers of stain and wax:

new desk
new desk

A close up of the bookcase (with high priority reading material):

high priority reading material
high priority reading material

I’ve since changed the desk, but still have the bookcase.

This room is going to be fantastic when it’s done! The mattresses make a wonderful surface to stretch out on while watching a movie and there is enough lighting for me to be able to do embroidery in the evenings. The overhead cabinets provide an incredible amount of storage for everything from computer parts to spare linens to art supplies. During the day, a huge picture window in the back, the two side windows, and the skylight make it a bright and cheerful space, while at night heavy shades give me privacy.

Follow this link for more on the changes I’ve made to the study.

Share on Facebook