The first thing I needed to do in the study was to get rid of one of the mattresses and put the other one on a pallet the way I did in the loft. I needed something 8′ x 31″ and there was nothing even remotely suitable in the Home Depot dumpster. I decided it would be less work to buy some 8′ lengths of lumber and use whatever I had here to make the cross supports. So, that was my major project of the day.
Thankfully, there was no major mould problem under the mattress lying right on the ground. There was a little dampness and mustiness, enough to make me feel that neither the mattress nor cover were salvageable, but it was much better than expected. I built my base in two pieces, guessing correctly that two 4′ x 31″ sections would be easier to manage than would be one big one. It’s not pretty, but it does the trick and you can’t see it anyway with the mattress on it:
I have a drawer that used to be a nightstand that I relocated to the top of the bed base that I have had no idea what to do with since I took the base apart. I decided that it would fit nicely at the end of the mattress, but it needed to be raised up so the drawer could open. I cut four legs from a scrap piece of dinette trim (like the stuff I used to secure the dishwasher) and I had one more panel from the base that was the perfect size to hold the drawer. End result:
As you can see, I also relocated the cabinet. And it won’t open with the printer in the way. There is simply no other place to put either item so I may have to live with having to move the printer whenever I want to get into the cabinet. It’s not something I go into that often, so it might be okay.
Now, here’s an honest shot:
I would have liked to turn the cabinet into a charging station, but it was just a smidgen too small to hold the UPS. Putting it under the desk was a compromise. I know I can improve on my wire management, but it’s already better than it was. I should be able to leave things on the desk (except the computer, of course) by putting some non-skid material under them. I secured the UPS with industrial strength Velcro.
The only other renovating thing to do to this room is the floor trim, which I’ll work on tomorrow. There is still major organization to be done, but that’s low priority right now. I’m focusing on what I need to do to make Miranda drivable and/or for which I need Croft’s workshop. I may get out of here yet!Share on Facebook