Until last night, I planned to pull out of here on or about March 7th and head to San Antonio. Looking at the weather from Dallas and points north lately, and across the continent as a whole this year, I suspect that spring will come late this year. Even though I want to give myself plenty of time to get back to Canada, I want to delay hitting iffy weather as long as possible.
The budget is tight, as it always is, and there aren’t a lot of free places like this in Texas where you can spend an extended period of time. I found a spot in San Antonio that will cost me $5 a day, so I plan to spend two weeks there. But if I leave here on the 7th, that puts me in Austin around the 21st and I haven’t found any free places beyond Walmarts and the like in that area. I wouldn’t mind bouncing around for a few nights, but that’s no way to live long-term.
All that to say that as long as no county officials come knock on my door and tell me to move on, I’m going to spend one additional week here and leave around the 14th of March. I’ve seen some of the other boondocking opportunities along the coast and I just don’t see any point in moving. Expenses here are super low, I have a full social calendar, and the weather has been good.
Being here another week will also loosen up the budget a tad for the trip north so that I can keep traveling rather than just try to get from point A to point B while spending as little as possible.
In other words, I don’t want to move and I’m glad I have a good reason not to.Share on Facebook